Tid bits from my bistro pub snack platters
I have always had a dream to open a more upmarket pub that gets away from the norm of serving tough overcooked steaks , huge burgers , mountains of chips , shit excuses for pizza and warm mass produced local lager. This usually attracts the wrong type of person who thinks quantity equals quality.
When I think of what I would do however I think of quality beers and well prepared snack platters shared between your friends at the table or to enjoy by yourself.
I thought it would be fun to share some of my menu ideas with everyone every now and again on my blog , so here are some I made up at the end of last year to hopefully get your taste buds going.
Blue cheese brie board with preserved figs and fresh strawberries
Camembert, wild rockette and spicy tomato chilli jam sliders
Babootie springrolls served with tangy homemade chutney
Punjabi curry potato samoosas with hot sweet chilli sauce and baby danya leaves




Ja it'd have to be an upmarket pub because serve those in 'O Hagan's and the kak is due to hit the fan cuz the okes will want old stale "chups", watered down Tobasco, oily cheese grillers and greasy samoosas in their platter...
ReplyDeletewhats worse is the Irish don't even know who the hell 'O Hagan is !
ReplyDeleteSliders are small burgers mate (as in the American craze that has hit the rest of the world particularly Aus with the food truck revolution, slow cook smokers, and So Cal fusion)... think mini brioche buns pulled pork (bbq'd for 24hrs), texas bbq sauce and vinegared slaw... or ground Black Angus chuck patty, Kewpie Mayo, Jalapeno's and Emmental Cheese... or pressed Korean sticky rib, Kim-chi and Sriracha mayo...
ReplyDeleteBut I digress... that's merely semantics...
Love the Bobotie spring roll idea... nice one... and how about some Tomato Kasundi with those great looking Samosa's and pickle those chilli's so they're edible?
Look up Bahn Mi's and Po'Boys for some ideas on the above style rolls...
My two favourite pubs here in Melbourne at the moment...
http://newmarketstkilda.com.au
http://www.middleparkhotel.com.au
Keep rocking the blog mate...